Tuesday, October 12, 2004

ok so you think the media is biased

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/markosmoulitsas/story/0,15139,1325454,00.html
an editorial about the debates.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/report.aspx?aid=396&sid=100 The truth about Iraqi prisoner abuse

so I figure very few people will read this or these links but at least do this one thing. Read this letter that I attached below my lil' essay.

I tried to volunteer to go to Aghanistan but only got as close as Diego Garcia. I got two medals out of it but more importantly I got to do what I felt was right. I helped send cargo to supply the troops over there and supplies to help reconstruct Aghanistan. I am not a tree huggin' hippie but I believe that we are not doing what is right for the world. I work with men and women who have been to Iraq and came back but not everyone does. Can we really justify over 1000 US deaths and over 5000 wounded for a war that hardly any of us really believed benefited our country. The Islamic world is unifying itself in its distrust and dislike of our country. The colonization of Islamic lands does not prevent the spread of terrorism but only feeds the hate. It is not fair that I have to constantly change the route I take to walk my dog and the route that I take to work to ensure that I am not standing out. I want my family to feel same just like I am sure you do. I am proud of America so much that it tears me up inside to see our country so hated at the moment. We are a nation of idealists that must unite in our pursuit of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all of our occupants. We owe it to our soldiers (an all volunteer force, I remind you) to not send them unneccarily into harm's way. Vote with your heart and your head. Just vote because we will do what our commander in chief tells us regardless of how we feel or who they are. That is the oath that we took to have the priviledge to put the uniform on and represent our country. Just be honest with us and don't send us to die carelessly. The men and women of the armed services deserve better.



From: Gerard E. Dolan [e-mail address omitted]Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 4:18 PMSubject: Soldiers helping the children of Mosul, Iraq
Friends,
I wanted to apprise you of a few things that might help you understand some of my fears and frustrations.
Did you know that American citizens at the Republican National Convetion last night were wearing band-aids with Purple Hearts on them to mock veterans (i.e. Kerry) who were lightly wounded? I'm in a bunker in Mosul, Iraq, getting mortared daily, and I have to watch my countrymen wearing Purple Heart Band-aids and getting coverage on CNN, MSNBC, and FOX?
Did you know that two nights ago, our combat support hospital took in two casualties from an IED (improvised explosive device, a road side bomb)? One kid had two broken legs, a broken arm, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. The other kid was trapped in the vehicle and burned to death. Have you ever seen a burnt human body? It's a sight you won't forget and the smell never leaves you.
I wish I could reach out to those fine Americans at the Republican National Convention and make then see what I've seen; I would show them all of the wounds and injuries our surgeons, nurses, and medics have treated. American soldiers are dying over here, and those at the convention have the temerity to mock us? While the balloons drop and the banners wave, somebody's son is taking fire, somebody's daughter is crying for her mother on our operating room table, and somebody's husband is lying cold in a "pouch, human remains." Will that be enough to convince these model citizens to take off their Purple Heart Band-Aids?
I consider myself a proud ex-pat, along with the 150,000 or so other soldiers in Iraq. Given all that us ex-pats are doing to further democracy in the Middle East, is it too much to ask for a little respect and a vote now and then? When will we be able to have some intelligent debate over real issues: health care, creating more jobs, bringing our boys home, increasing taxes on corporations, etc.?
By the way, if anyone wants to make a difference in the future of Iraq, my unit is working with our civil affiars battalion to collect school supplies for the local schools in Mosul. Apparently, there isn't enough money in the interim Iraqi budget to pay for pencils, pens, and composition books. School starts September 11th.
Leave no child behind!
Sincerely,Gerry DolanUS Army

1 comment:

Gerry Dolan said...

Brian - could you remove this post? The email I wrote was private, and it contains personal details. Please send me an email at gdolan at gmail dot com if you have any questions